Thursday, April 26, 2012


3sc crest. pix courtesy-
The melee that broke out between Gombe Utd and Shooting Stars of Ibadan after their week 21 game leaves a lot to be desired, there were various claims from both camps.

It was alleged a shooting stars fan and midfielder Raheem Owolabi were stabbed by fans of Gombe Utd at the Pantani Stadiums, claims which Gombe's Ibrahim Kwairanga refuted vehemently, was there any physical evidence? (video, still pictures et al). 

Shooting Stars claim their cameras and other gadgets were snatched from them, here are two reports emanating from that game

3SC are liars - Kwairanga
pix: courtesy-

Gombe Utd's Club Crest: courtesy
Nigeria Premier League (NPL) club,Gombe United have lividly rejected reports that one of their fans attacked a 3SC player,Raheem Owolabi.I can authoritatively report.

The two teams met in a match day 22 of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) on Wednesday,which the hosts,Gombe United won 2-1.
But there were reports afterward that Gombe United fans invaded the pitch which resulted in 3SC's striker,Raheem Owolabi been stabbed.

Gombe United Team Manager,Ibrahim Kwairanga therefore disclosed that United were not involved in any melee with 3SC,as widespread.

"3SC are liars,they thought they would get a draw and it was Mutiu Adepoju and Ajibade that caused everything.

"Mutiu Adepoju entered the field and insulted the referee,but 3SC would never say that.The player that was injured,wounded himself as his grievances of our victory led to him breaking our dressing room door made with glass.

"I am so sorry for Nigeria football,because no more fact finding among sports reporters which serves as obstacles to our development."Kwairanga concluded angrily on Thursday morning.

Gombe United have submitted 32 points from 22 games and they are placed 6th while 3SC are 15th on the log with 26 points.
Here is another take from Shooting Stars official website
Gombe fans attack 3SC players and officials, Owolabi stabbed.

Hell was let loose in Patani on Wednesday as fans of the home side, Gombe United attacked players and officials of the Shooting Stars shortly after the referee aided Gombe United to a 2-1 win over 3SC.

Shooting Stars striker, Raheem Owolabi has to be revived after being stabbed by a fan with dagger and subsequently collapsed.

Medical team battle to save his life as he only regain consciousness an hour later but sustain a deep cut to his right arm, team doctor, Funmi Ogunjimi said “he collapsed having lost so much blood”

The club camera was destroyed as irate fans descended on the harmless small contingent from Ibadan shortly after the final whistle. The fans
accused 3SC players of attempting to win in Gombe.

One of the fans shouted “if not for the referee these bastards could have picked a point or even beat us, barawo ”

A source who claimed to be a colleague of the centre referee Otujeme from Abia State said he (Otujeme) had confided in him that he was deliberately biased in his handling of the match because of the threat of the home fans to his life.

He said dangerous weapon were wielded at him before the start of the game and when he threaten not to start the game unless he is assured of adequate security, they simply responded that he cannot escape them (Gombe) without doing their bidding.

Gombe United had taken the lead from a dubious goal by Mathias Samuel in the 35th minute of the match, 3SC fought back with a goal in the 46th minute through one of the club’s latest signings, Tony Edjomariegwe.

Referee Otujeme was at it again in the 88th minute as he instead awarded a Shooting Stars throwing to Gombe United who again fouled 3SC player in the box with the referee allowing play to go on which resulted in the goal for Gombe United.

A board member of the Shooting Stars Tunde Anifowose Kelani said the club will not take the attack lightly as they will employ all legal means to seek redress

“This is unprecedented and unacceptable. we shall see it through”.

The team had to fled for Bauchi after the security personnel escorted them out of the stadium.

3SC media officer, Jubril Arowolo told that “he has never seen anything like this since his years as the club media officer”.

He said the experience is terrifying and traumatising for the team as the players are still in shock over the incident.

“We never provoked them ,we played our game and was sad that we lost after putting in so much in the match, only for the referee to kill our joy. It look like a premeditated plan, what if we had won the game?”.


No comments:

Post a Comment