A FAN SPEAKS…
















A FAN SPEAKS…

As a Nigerian, I was born to support our National team (Super Eagles) but I paid this team no attention for a while until that day at the quarter finals of the 2013 Nations Cup, where against all odds, the Super Eagles triumphed and conquered the Elephants of Ivory Coast (the proclaimed favorites)

That resurgence/rebirth in my team breathed life into the nation and fans alike. 

Suddenly, you walk on the streets, in the market etc, ‘Super Eagles’ was on every lip, it became a dream for the fans from then on. The team did not only lift the trophy in that tournament, it went ahead and qualified for the world cup in style.


They also displayed some swash-buckling displayed in an electrifying friendly against Italy, at Craven Cottage albeit it ended 2-2.

 At this stage as a fan ,I did not only have faith in the team, I dreamt and aspired for it, believing that the Super Eagles of the past that the world feared/revered has made a comeback after such an agonizing elongated absence.


Towards the end of 2013/2014 footballing season which was particularly trying for me as a Manchester United fan, all I had to look forward to was the upcoming World Cup, a stage for my team to soar beyond expectations.  

Today, as I await Nigeria's first game against IranI also remember that our able Coach Keshi has named his squad for the World Cup and my team has played all 3 friendly matches prior to the anticipated clash with the Asians. A 2-2 draw with Scotland, 0-0 draw with Greece and 2-1 defeat to USA, but after these three games, am struggling to recognize the team that stunned the Ivorian Elephants and the World on that fateful day or the team that matched fearlessly into the game against European power house Italy. 

Yes,my expectations has taken a huge blow but it still lives, because in all this games one thing was constant- coach Keshi  knew what tactical changes to make to elevate/lift the game and most importantly, when to make these changes.

In retrospect, I am among that few that believe that King Keshi (as I like to call him) has saved his best for the last (World Cup). I may not like his choice of Yobo and Ameobi over the likes of Uche and Nsofor, but I choose to rely on that intuition per my doubt before the Nations Cup that proved me and many wrong, gauging and hoping it will happen on a global stage. 

On behalf of all the true Super Eagles fans around the globe, I urge King Keshi to do what he does best 
and bring out the finest in his chosen warriors and make this nation proud as well as to make this outing the beginning of an era of global respect for the EAGLES. 

#ShineOnEagles

Ifeyinwa Enemuo
Follow her on twitter -@vivlalasky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NPFL WEEK 8 MATCH DAY 1 RESULTS

Introducing Barca's Godswill Ekpolo

Joseph Olowu declares for Nigeria