Niamey Diaries (1)


The Kennedy Bridge in Niamey, the water you see below is where the River Nile flows into West Africa
It’s been a roller coaster since I arrived here and I haven’t been able to update the blog as I should.

You might already now I’m in Niamey, capital of Niger Republic for the CAF Under-17 African Championship. 

Front view, Stade Seyni Kountche

This tournament asides producing the African champions at this level will also produce the four countries that will fly Africa’s flag at the Fifa Under-17 World Cup in Chile.


Kelechi Nwakali wheels away after grabbing Nigeria's equaliser

The Eaglets have won 1 and drawn another as they go into Saturday’s last group game against Zambia needing to earn points to assure passage to the semis and ultimately a ticket to Chile 2015.

It’s being great so far asides the mosquitoes that I have to brave every night. I managed to get some insecticide yesterday and it helped a lot.


Naija fans balling after the draw with Guinea


There are loads of Nigerians as expected here and they were quite loud when Nigeria drew with Guinea in the second group game. I spoke to some of them and they promised to mobilize more folks to come cheer the Eaglets against Zambia.

Niamey is a very weird place, most times it looks conservative, then a times the French part of the people come through to your face. It’s the same with the architecture and way of life.

Camel’s are a regular feature in the metropolis and so is the latest Toyota SUV. It’s a mix of sorts. Niger, like other Francophone countries use the CFA, something I’m still struggling with as I have been cheated numerous times when they realized I was Nigerian.

These, brought back some memories


No wahala, we trudge on abi?

The food is quite cheap compared to Naija, but again the challenge is the only stuff I can eat without looking twice at the food is potato chips which have become a constant feature in my meals.

The football has been quite good too and I've also see some excellent talents here. Provided the right guidance is given and the young chaps are well nurtured, the future of the African game is secured, at least from my side of the divided.

Did I tell you I met Issa Hayatou? I mean the CAF president? Well, I did, and I told him he has done a good job but needs to leave the scene for the younger generation (err...I didn't exactly put it that way)
National Assembly, Niamey

That’s all for today, tomorrow I will regale you guys with some funny gist about how Nigerian ladies here are doing their Italo waka. Yes oh! De tori funny. But I’ve to run to the stadium to set up for Naija’s match with the Young Chipolopolo of Zambia.

I heard the games are not on TV back home abi? Oya na you can get all the updates via @RandaAndrew on twitter or jam the hashtag #ssfootball for twitter.


I also had an interview with Emmanuel Amuneke (see pic, that's me, with the Kano Pillars top just incase you didn't know-again). You can read it up here.

Ehen, before I go, it rained today here. The locals said it’s unusual, me tell dem say na Naija juju dey work and we go win today

Up Eaglets

Check up on all the permutations for both groups here

Make we yarn later.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NPFL WEEK 8 MATCH DAY 1 RESULTS

Introducing Barca's Godswill Ekpolo

Joseph Olowu declares for Nigeria