Ekpolo nears full fitness

Ekpolo in training : photo credit: fcbarcelona.cat

FC Barcelona defender Godswill Elohor Ekpolo has told supersport.com he cannot wait to get back to full fitness and resume his career after an injury that has kept him out from the game since the start of the new season.

The 19-year-old Nigerian was part of the all-conquering Barca juvenile under-19 team that won the Uefa Youth Champions League in 2014 but has not featured for any of the Barcelona side yet.

Ekpolo had to undergo an operation but is well on track to full fitness as he has commenced full training in a bid to return to competitive football.


“It’s been a long journey for me. It wasn't easy being out for such a long while and watching your teammates play,” he told supersport.com.

“I was excited at being promoted to the Barca B team after our Uefa Youth League heroics but unfortunately I copped an injury and couldn't play for the whole of the season.

“Hopefully next season I should be fully involved with the B team. I’ll be registered, but I have to work extra hard because I did not play this season."

Ekpolo also spoke about his desire to break into the Barcelona first team in the near future even though he agrees it is going to be a tough walk for a youngster like him.

The right-back, who can also play in central defence enthused that he can follow in the footsteps of his under-19 teammates like Munir El Haddadi and Sandro, who went ahead to make their first team debut this season.

“Every kid at La Masia has the dream to play for the first team. I've trained with them before and I must say it was a wonderful experience,” Ekpolo said.

“But I need to go step by step as God leads me. I know that with hard work and dedication and God’s blessings, I’ll get there."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NPFL WEEK 8 MATCH DAY 1 RESULTS

Introducing Barca's Godswill Ekpolo

Joseph Olowu declares for Nigeria