Ogu tips Eagles to soar again


Nigeria international, John Ogu, says he was a disappointed man when the Super Eagles failed to pick a ticket for the 2015 Orange/Caf Africa Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea.

Ogu, who has been in fine form for his Israeli side, Hapoel Be'er Sheva this season, was part of the Nigeria squad to the 2013 Confederations Cup, but missed out on the 2014 World Cup train as Nigeria exited in the second round.

The 26-year-old, who has not been called up since then, was heartbroken when the team drew 2-2 with South Africa which effectively ended Nigeria's hopes after Congo won away at Sudan in the penultimate Group A match day.


"I was devastated to say the least. It was a black Wednesday for me. I felt bad when we failed to qualify," he told supersport.com.

"Even though I haven't been part of the set up of late, It didn't stop me rooting for the team. My teammate here (at Be'er Sheva) Austin Ejide has been part of the team so I get to hear most of the details from him.

"It was a sad day for our football. I'm a fan of the Super Eagles first and foremost, I felt the pain like any other Nigerian."

The former Flying Sport Academy graduate however gives insight into Nigeria's inability to qualify for the Nations Cup saying it is just a blip and the team will regain their lost glory once again.

"I felt sad like everyone else in Nigeria, but nothing can be done than to think of the future," Ogu said.

"What can be done is to make sure we keep working harder than we actually do so that we can be 
African champions once again.

"Yes, I believe we can. I believe we can win the Africa Cup of Nations again."

Ogu made his debut for Nigeria against Kenya in a World Cup qualifier in March 2013 against Kenya at the UJ Esuene Stadium in Calabar. He has 17 caps for Nigeria.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NPFL WEEK 8 MATCH DAY 1 RESULTS

Introducing Barca's Godswill Ekpolo

Joseph Olowu declares for Nigeria