Kano Diaries: Day Two

Super Eagles v Benin in Kano
I’m sorry this is coming late but it is for good reason, one that I won’t bother you with. So my Day 1 in Kano (click here if you missed it) was okay but Day Two topped that (or so I think).

I woke up on game day with a lot on my mind. I said a few prayers for the players to behave themselves and up their game (they eventually did, who says prayers don’t work in sports?). 

Day started with a few phone calls to some radio stations to update them with events in Kano and also previewed the game for a Jos based station before catching up with my social media. My stomach rumbled a bit and I knew it was time to grab some breakfast. 

If you know me, you’ll know I’m not a big fan of hotel food and so I sauntered off to the road adjacent my Nimah Palace Guest House lodge and found a woman frying akara and just beside her was a ‘Mai Shayi’. No need to add more, y’all can do the maths.

Work mode.
 A quick dash back to the room to shower and then and the stadium but that plan was put on hold as Francis Achi aka Totori came over and requested we go see some NFF officials (not really my thing) before heading out together to the stadium.

Wale Ajayi, who was  next room asked us to wait for him and we did. I lost patience after a while and off I went to the Eagles Hotel just behind my abode.

I spent time with Elisha Golbe (Plateau United skipper) and Thomas Zenke before we all went out for the usual team walk. Coach Imama regaled me with stories about his days in Kano and how much the city has changed since then.


With Plateau United skipper Elisha Golbe before the game

One funny part of the ‘walk’ was seeing Super Eagles players dole out money to  ‘almajiris’ on the streets. Crisp fifty naira notes were handed over at will. Osas Okoro was the main man as he kept ‘dashing’ out cash to the boys.

 I also noticed something funny.

Most of the boys given money will do a 360 run and come back again to request for more. Apparently Raphael Ayagwa also ‘decoded’ and refused to give them more. At a point, the crowd of boys was getting too much and it took between me, Imama and Rabiu Ali to get them to back off as we headed to the hotel.

Captain. Hero. Rabiu Ali.
I went back to my hotel to pick up my gear and then I left for the stadium, some three hours to the game to avoid the crowd that usually accompanies match days in Kano. It was a huge mistake as I got to the stadium and it was like a ghost town. 

Yours truly was the only journalist in sight aside the Supersport guys who were setting up their equipment. Luckily, Munir of the NFF was around so we sat down talking and decided to go into Kofar Mata to grab something to eat.

One hour later we were back in the stadium and Jane, who had earlier called that she was heading to the stadium, was there waiting for us.

Others arrived before the game begin and the game went quite well except that moment the referee from Equatorial Guinea decided to toy with my heart and point to the spot for a penalty kick to Benin.
On duty. With Kelechi Onwudiwe

At this point, I just wanna say ‘EZENWA FOR PRESIDENT’.

I headed back to the hotel and spent some time taking another round of phone calls from a radio stations and then I was off to the Eagles hotel again (usual ritual innit). Caught up with Elisha Golbe, Stephen Eze and former youth international Kabiru Baleria and my state FA chairman Mr Sunday.

My happiness was almost eroded by an unfortunate issue that came up just because someone, for his own reasons, decided to act funny.

The players, coaches and officials were invited to the government lodge after the game. The press were also invited and the Kano State SWAN chairman was to facilitate that.
Just before Malikawa did a number on us
 On our way out, we saw him driving out claiming he was tired and wanted to go home to rest. Long story short, we got to the Government House in Kano with our invite and press tags but we were stopped by the security operatives.

They requested (as they were instructed) we get Malikawa to come and usher us in. I was like "Malikawa was home and sleeping". 

Apparently I was wrong. He was right in there with a few or should I say a selected few?. Wale Ajayi put a call through to him but after about a minute he hung the phone on us and refused to call back or even send someone to come get us from the gate.

We all left disappointed and I swore never to got through such  again. Everyone who knows me knows I’m the type that gets his stories after the game and goes to bed. Gbenga Adeleye and Wale Ajayi convinced me to come along and I obliged them only to be embarrassed.

I’m still expecting Malikawa to give us his side of the story or even deny mine but he has kept mute. This is 48 hours now.

We ended up going to Sabon-Gari to have dinner at around 11pm before heading back to our hotels. I won’t tell y’all what happened between midnight and Sunday morning. Allow your imaginations to run wild.

A call from my young wife meant my plan for the Kano Pillars v Abia Warriors game went up in smoke. I had to leave Kano immediately.

I and Akin Bolarinwa who also had to leave abruptly took a ‘keke’ to the car park before we said our goodbyes.


Before I go I just wanna say a big thank you to everyone who made it fun for me.
Bye bye Kano. See ya next time
 First of all, I wanna appreciate Kola Daniel of ScoreNigeria who hosted me for two days. I can’t remember the last time anybody did that. Usually I’m the one doing the hosting.

Adewale Ajayi, Akin Bolarinwa, Francis Achi, Tobi Adepoju, Cally Ebare, Ola, Jane, Abiola and others I’ve forgotten.

Let’s do this again in Uyo.









Comments

  1. Hmmm...smh so Malikawa wan dine with governor alone? Wonders shall never end. Sleep ko rest nee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice One Andy Cole. Make sure we see, next time ure in Town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't thank Totori Master. I think I will learn this diary thingy. It's fun having to recount your experience for a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't surprised with Malikawa. Bros is always under threat with outside Journos in Kano.
    Trust you took 'Koko' and Akara to wash it down at Sabongari? They have the best.
    We will talk about what happened in the midnight when we meet in Uyo.
    Cheers bro.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NPFL WEEK 8 MATCH DAY 1 RESULTS

Introducing Barca's Godswill Ekpolo

Shehu Abdullahi joins Al Qadsia