Football will humble you (NPFL edition)


Just before the new Nigeria Professional Football League season started, I had an idea of how things will pan out. I thought to myself I had it all figured out.

In my head, Enyimba, Kano Pillars, Rivers United and Plateau United will fight for the title while Adamawa United, Sunshine Stars, Jigawa Stars and Dakkada were the teams I tipped to fall out.

I know, I know what you are going to say but I had my reasons then and some are taking shape based on the seven matchdays we’ve had so far but I must admit I have been way off the mark with most of my predictions.

Octopus Andy? 

With seven matches gone, Adamawa United have proved me right. Two points out of a possible 21 are relegation type statistics and it does not look to simmer as the season goes on.

The Yola side, who play their home games at the Pantami Stadium in Gombe, has only scored twice so far this season and have conceded 10 to stay rooted at the bottom. Surely, there is no way out for them.

 It will take a miracle for them to survive the drop.


I was also spot-on as regards Heartland Football Club who have been in the news for the wrong reason this season. A transfer ban on them was lifted by the LMC and they were allowed to sign five new players to beef up their squad.

Alas, this has not done anything to help their cause so far as they sit 18th on the log with a-5 goal difference. Only positive is they somehow managed to keep exciting youngster Samuel Nnosiri on their roster.

That is how good it has gone for me predictions so far.



Akwa United have made a mess of my predictions after tipping them to set the league on fire with the plethora of exciting players in their team. 

They managed to keep Ndifreke Effiong, exciting youngster Saidu Salisu, Seth Mayi and Etboy Akpan in the fold but it has not gone according to plan for them.

A matchday one draw to city rivals Dakkada FC has seen them chalked up only seven points from 21 points available - a stat that does not fit the team’s stature.

I didn’t see them at 13th place on the log after seven match days.

I didn’t.


Even though they are on the ascendancy now, Plateau United have served me a mixed bowl of oats - some sweet, a lot not.

Eliminated from the CAF Champions League preliminary stage by Tanzanian side Simba (they failed to score in both legs), they were hit 2-0 by Kwara United at the New Jos Stadium on the opening day of the new season.

The management wielded the big stick and put the team on half salary. Not the most ideal way to go about club management but it seemed to have worked some magic as the team has lost just once since then - the lone goal loss to Kano Pillars in the Kaduna.

The Jos side is currently in the seventh position on the log.

Dakkada has huffed and puffed this season to mixed results. I thought they will be fighting relegation after losing a horde of players to other teams in the league.

Femi Ajayi, Imo Obot and goalkeeper Vincent Edafe all left for Rangers, Enyimba and Abia Warriors respectively but they have managed to weather the storm.

They sit in the eighth position with 11 points after matchday seven which with due respect to the coach and players, I didn’t see coming. They have earned my respect even though the season is still young.

Abia Warriors for me have been the biggest disappointment so far this season. 

The announcement of Imama Amakapabo as their new coach sent excitement into the football-lore of Umuahia but all of that is up in smoke now.

You would expect that a team that signed 13 new players that include Leke Ojo, Mustapha Jibreen, Nzube Anazemba, Godwin Obaje and others should be sitting pretty at the top.

No, it didn’t quite happen. 

They floundered right from the start of the season.

It got to a head when Imama was given a three-game ultimatum after the 3-1 reversal at home to Jigawa Golden Stars.

Even though he’s gone three matches unbeaten since then, the former U23 coach still isn’t out of the woods yet. Abia Warriors are 19th on the NPFL log and have mustered only four goals this season.

I know the season is still considerably young, I’ve seen signs that my predictions will be thrown out of the window. 

Early days yet but I must admit it looks like it is going to be a season of surprises.

Football will humble you.




 

Comments

  1. Hi! I found the valuable football match video.
    Uzbekistan against Nigeria 1995.
    FK kicked by Qosimov is amazing!
    Nigeria is very strong.
    Ikpeba and Kanu get goal.
    West,Oliseh,Amokachi play.
    https://youtu.be/w4FT6nV2YzM
    I wish Nigeria become the first Champion of FIFA WC in Africa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NPFL WEEK 8 MATCH DAY 1 RESULTS

Introducing Barca's Godswill Ekpolo

Shehu Abdullahi joins Al Qadsia