Why I terminated my contract with Denizlispor

 Why I terminated my contract with Denizlispor



Nigeria midfielder Ogenyi Onazi has revealed why he terminated his contract with Turkish second tier side Denizlispor even as he is set to look at offers available to him.


The 29-year-old told Andrew Randa that the disagreement stemmed from unpaid wages of about four months which led to a disagreement with the management of the club


Onazi was not paid for four months and even after negotiating for a pay as you play deal to relieve the management of the financial burden occasioned by the covid-19 pandemic, the club still failed to pay him as when due.


'At a point, the coach stopped playing me so they do not have to pay me as we agreed and I found this very absurd. After a few meetings we could resolve the issue and I elected to leave. It is better that way.


“I love the club and fans but my family comes first and I had what I had to do so that I can have a clean break and concentrate on my career,” he told Andrew Randa.


“I had an agreement with the team before I rejoined then from Denmark but it didn’t go as planned. Before I went to Denmark (to sign with Sönderjyske), I was owed and FIFA was aware of that. I didn't want a transfer ban on their head hence when I came back I took a 6000 Euros discount on my pay.


This was to enable them sign players because the had about eight players then and even with the sacrifices I made I didn't get treated well. All I wanted to do was to come back and help the team gain promotion to the top flight.


When I returned the new president tried to offset half of the amount but that was as good as it got. Despite the compromises I made, it wasn't rosy at all and right now they have not paid me for four months.


“I have no issues with the President but I feel terminating y contract will be better for everyone. I do not want to go to FIFA or anything like that. I just want to do the right thing for myself and my family.” Onazi said.


The 2013 Nations Cup-winning midfielder also revealed his plans as he prepares to sign for a new club.


“I have offers, some from Europe and another from Asia. The solid ones are ones I am going for and I might probably sign in a couple of days. The interest in concrete and will be revealed soon.


“I am fully fit now. My injury worries are over and I am rearing to go. The target now is to show what I can do and be in contention for a place in the Super Eagles for the Africa Cup of Nations. That is my priority now,” he enthused.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NPFL WEEK 8 MATCH DAY 1 RESULTS

Introducing Barca's Godswill Ekpolo

Shehu Abdullahi joins Al Qadsia